Map

Monday, June 27, 2011

Ocean, Big Trees & Banjos

Today was another long day of traveling in the car…but we were able to stop at so many neat places on the highway!  We took the infamous 101 through the Redwoods.  What an amazing drive!  Those things are HUGE!!!  We also got our first look at the Pacific Ocean today and it was so beautiful!  At some point of the drive we couldn’t tell if it was the edge of the world or the ocean…the way the clouds sit on top of the ocean plays tricks on your mind! 

Entering Oregon was another story…I am not thrilled at this point with the state of Oregon!  We seriously felt like we were in a scene in the movie Deliverance.  Is that a banjo I hear....???!! 

As we made our way further into the state it got a little better – but I am keeping my fingers crossed that Portland will help the state out a bit!  

It rained on us almost the entire time driving in Oregon…I almost forgot what that stuff was!  We headed to our hotel to get some rest – we were tired after this drive!  We have an early start in the morning - Brandon has his presentation for the American and Australian Society of Mammologists.  I am really excited to get to see him in his realm of people!  Goodnight until tomorrow! 

Confusion Hill - One of our first road side stops!  
Has anyone seen Brandon?  
I think Confusion Hill made Brandon confused!
 My short experience as a Chipalope :o) 
The weather rock at confusion hill: if its wet its raining, if it is swinging its windy....maybe Midland weathermen sound invest in this...
The trunks of these trees are massive!
This tree is 1200+ years old....did Jesus plant this tree?!?
Trees known as the 'Twin Towers" in honor of 9/11 - they are so tall I think they almost touch heaven!
I think the Chipalope knew Brandon was a biologist...
Don't forget Only you can prevent forest fires!  This message was brought to you by Jess!
The Legend of Bigfoot - one of our other fun stops!
I think I see a resemblance...
I'm definitely not related!
Hmmmm....maybe he is?!?!
I so wanted to buy this!
Our love story....
Mile 1950: Pacific Ocean
Me & my Bran on the beach
I love the ocean!
This was my sexy run across the sand - Brandon said it wasn't so sexy...more like spastic :o)

Mile 1994: Paul Bunyan & Babe
Another fun stop along the way!  Paul even had conversations with you!
Ok, this is getting weird - Brandon looks a little like Paul Bunyan too! When I told Paul that Brandon looked like him - he replied with "I don't have horns!"  Ha! Ha!  That PB is so funny!
Mile 2027: The Massive Redwoods!
So amazing!
Anyone seen Brandon!?!
He is tiny compared to that tree!
Don't be jealous...look at that stream!  
I just wanted to go play in the water!  It was so blue!
Mile 2056: Oregon State Line
Watch out Oregon!  Here we come!


Jess becoming one with Oregon...

TRIP SUMMARY
Day 5: Benicia, CA to Portland, OR
Weather: Cloudy, cool – Mid 60’s with sprinkles

Jess’ Jibberish & Bran’s Babbles:  
  • Slowest drivers in America live in Oregon.
  • In Oregon they cut down their trees to make areas “botanically”
  • Speed limit signs are MASSIVE in size
  • I had to explain to Brandon why there were firework stands all over the nation…
  • Coffee is difficult to find - thank god for Dari Mart!  Stupid Safeway!
Check out the rest of our pictures on this adventure by clicking HERE!

No comments: