Map

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Goodbye.....

Raider went to be with Jesus today. I spoke to Dr. Erwin and Boyd this morning, and after steroid injections he had become worse. He did not eat any this morning and only took sips of water. He was unable to walk out of the kennel today for them to clean. They had to put him on his blanket and slide him out on it.



Around 3:30 today Brandon and I made it to the vet clinic. Brandon and I knew what we had to do being the condition he was in. Dr. Erwin came in and spoke to us and in his opinion it was the best option to put him to sleep. Tears filled all the staff's eyes. Just in the few days Raider had been with them they all had grown attached to him. "He is a great dog" they all would say.



Dr. Erwin had Raider taken into the OR and gave Brandon and I some time to say our good byes. The look in Raider's eyes told us he was ready to go. He could not even get up to greet us when he saw us come in the room. We both got down on the floor and told him how much we loved him, kissed him all over and he covered my face in kisses... the best kisses any person could ask for.



Dr. Erwin and his staff came in and Raider gracefully went to sleep in my lap and made his way to meet Jesus. I can just see him now romping his way to the pearly gates of Heaven meeting Jesus and giving him a "five" or maybe "ten!" :o) We are having Raider cremated and he will be placed in a cedar box for Brandon and I to pick up in a week.



My heart is hurting so bad right now I can't even describe it. I feel like I lost a piece of myself today. The only thing I can hold onto is knowing that he is no longer suffering and getting to party it up in Heaven. I just hope that Jesus has enough food for him (he ate A LOT!) and babies (not real ones - stuffed animals) for him to chew on and tear up and carry the carcass around!



I know Raider is no longer physically with us now, but he will forever live in my heart. For those of you who had the privilege of knowing Raider, you know how happy of a dog he was! He never met a stranger! I feel privileged to have been his mom for the 16 months he was alive and will hold the blessings and memories he gave to me close to my heart.



CELEBRATING RAIDERS LIFE THROUGH PICTURES



His first bath in the sink




Squeaky clean and loving his new home

Keep me warm mom!

Just a baby



Finally not afraid of the kitchen floor


Learning how to walk on those long legs!


Fun in the sun!

His first "baby"



He always helped me do laundry - made him pooped!


What a sweet face!


5 1/2 weeks old


6 1/2 weeks old


7 1/2 weeks old



8 1/2 weeks old



9 1/2 weeks old



10 1/2 weeks old



11 1/2 weeks old



1 year old!



What a stud muffin!



When Dad could pick him up!



Mom's little man!



Yes, he really used to sleep like this when he was a puppy! :O)



Then he became a bed hog!



My night time snuggle buddy!



At the dog park with his friends!



Proud Papa!


Mom's munchcans!



That's what I call a nap!




As big as his mamma!

Always a good sport at my birthday parties!




My little gobblin

Hiking the Davis Mountains with mom!


On a trail at the Davis Mountains with Dad!




Taking a break from hiking! He was a serious hiker!


I love you more than you will ever know biggin'!



Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We have the best friends and family anyone could ask for.


"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes."
-Unknown-



6 comments:

ErinB said...

Hey guys, we are so sad to hear about the loss of Raider. We hope you both find comfort in the wonderful memories you both have of him and the sweet joy he brought to your life. I cried reading this post and never met Raider, so I can only imagine what the two of you are feeling. We love yall and have you both in our prayers. God received a great dog in heaven to look down over all you do.

Love you both!
Kenny and Erin

Summer said...

jess, i am so sorry to hear about your precious baby. i will be thinking of you!

The Williams Family said...

My heart hurts for ya'll... I can't even imagine how you feel. Hopefully the red raiders will win their game for him!!

Mema said...

Jess & Brandon, I am so so sorry to hear about Raider. I know how much a part of your heart a dog can be. I just lost my precious 'Sugar Bear' a couple of months ago and my heart still hurts every time I think of her, but I too, know she is running with Raider in heaven. Will be thinking of you guys, knowing the grief process is not an easy or short one. Love you bunches. Treasure the pictures and great memories.

jeremy said...

Jess,

Got a bit teared up when I was reading that. Sounds like you have great memories though.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry Jess! I am not looking forward to the day that we have to put Prancer to sleep...hopefully not for a LONG time! She was our first baby! You have some GREAT pictures of Raider though!! Totally AWESOME! Love you girl!